Thursday 23 February 2017

Radio Hendaye

My tuner only picks up Spanish radio stations.  (Yes sometimes I like to turn on my radio rather than manage internet based radio). Imagine my surprise this evening when I turned on radio three and heard a Scouse accent coming out of the speakers.  'Have I been beamed up?' I thought.  Within a few seconds I recognized the voice. It was Ringo. You know the Beatles not-very-good drummer: promoting his new album with Paul, the only surviving other member of what was undoubtedly the world's most successful and influential pop group That made me profoundly aware of what I lose as an immigrant /ex-pat.  However long I live in France, however hard I try to assimilate its culture, I will never be able to turn on the radio and know by the sound of a voice - oh that's Ringo, that's Will Self, that's Jo Brand or whoever.

No comments: