Saturday 29 October 2016

Trying to live within our planet's means.

Since moving into my new flat, five months ago,  I have tried to avoid buying ANYTHING new (except treating myself to a couple of new T-shirts and summer shorts).  I have largely succeeded.  My bed, couch, tables, and bike were all bought off le Bon Coin, at  vide-greniers or at Emmaus (I used to be a frequent visitor to the one in Wageningen and was pleased to find one just across the border in Irun - though it took me several  visits to find as it is located on an out-of-the-way trading estate).  Rugs (one of them still in its wrapper), curtains and side tables were all picked up by my cleaner from people with more money than sense: trashing their 'unfashionable' furniture.
   

 The two nicest things I have found are a lampshade and a table lamp.  With darker evenings coming in some soft lighting is much appreciated.  The pair cost me 5 euro from   the Red Cross in Jonceaux (Hendaye's industrial zone).  I particularly like the 'sun lampshade', which must be hand made and sat absolutely perfectly to an existing light fitting in the hall - even the screw holes matched the fitting!


The one new household item I have bought is a kettle. I will probably succumb to a bookcase from IKEA (holds up crucifix), a blender and saw.   It's not just (or even mainly) about saving money. It's more that there is enough 'stuff' on this planet already.    I’d rather spend my money in the service economy than deplete the planet’s resources.

I am also trying to avoid anything made of plastic.  I was given a link to a nearby company that sells worms and composters. I was kind of interested, but then realised that buying a plastic worm composter was a contradiction (unless the plastic was recycled, but I didn't see that highlighted on their website).  In the end I opted to make one out of polystyrene fish trays,  that would otherwise go to landfill.  A member of my Jardin Collectif has given me some Tiger Worms from his chicken run - I put them all together this week and am just waiting for the worms to settle in and do thier business. It has been an ongoing project for two months.  I'm sure glad it's finished

My local organic shop sells its grains, pulses nuts and seeds loose so there is no packaging apart from a paper bag which can be used to light a fire.  I'm pleased with that.  What is bugging me  is that every time I need to buy light bulbs, printer cartridges, screws, washers or plugs they come wrapped in tough and out-sized plastic packages.  I wish I could find a traditional quincaillerie that sold things like that loose and in paper bags.
  

No comments: