Friday 2 September 2016

A day in 'the city'

I spent most of today chasing around Bayonne and Biarritz collecting and collating paperwork to get French plates for my Belgian car. I have done this before when I moved from NL to B so its not entirely daunting, but, as-ever, the rules and requirements are different between each country. 

Yesterday I was advised by the Sous-Prefecture to go the the Tax Office in Bayonne to collect a tax declaration for the vehicle. When I got there they told me to go to Biarritz,a forty minute bus ride away. I made it just before the office closed. When I got back to the sous -prefecture in Bayonne they rejected one piece of paper that I thought would be valid. 

Still it wasn't a wasted day. I got to see and walk across the Adour and the Nive. In Biarritz I picked up a very nice, though not ostentatious, second hand mountain bike from a bike/surf board/wetsuit hire business and cycled the 12 km path back along the coast / river into Bayonne. SNCF are good about allowing bikes on trains so I bought it back safely (and for free) to Hendaye. 

I felt claustrophic in the Anglet-Bayonne-Biarritz metropole: too many cars and traffic jams, too many people, too many shops. They've trashed their beaches with tacky resorts.  I was glad to put my bike on the train (at no extra cost) and head back tothe backwoods of Hendaye.  

And will pick up the paper trail on Monday

No comments: