Wednesday 25 March 2015

Airport Traumas - part 7

I thought I had this trip so well planned. Did an enormous amount of research, a dozen guide books and as many autobiographical accounts. The flight and car were booked six weeks in advance, same with a self catering gîte in a tourist hot spot over Easter week. But you know the best laid plans of mice and men......

 




I got to the car hire at Toulouse Airport and they only accepted credit card swipes for the deposit.  I'm sure that's a French thing - but I may be wrong.  But I didn't have my credit card with me - for five years I have only used it for online purchases - hell I don't even know its PIN no.  After a long discussion with the supervisor they agreed to accept 1000 Euros cash as a damage waiver for the car - but I just couldn't tap into that much from my cards that evening. Especially after having swiped a large wad of cash already the same day (in advance of an insurance payment) to pay for car repairs.  So I had to find some overnight accommodation in Toulouse, waiting until I could get more money out of the machines the next day.   

I did some sums that night and calculated that the combination of daily withdrawal limits and available reserves on my cards might not be enough to yield another 500 Euros the next day – so I called a friend at home and asked him if would top up an account until I got back. He agreed but doubted the money would be there the next morning.   It was and I got back to the car hire desk suitably primed to pay the deposit – only to be told by the new clerk that they would require significantly more than the 1000 Euro asked for last night.  I started clenching my fists and sweating in panic and frustration and asked again for a supervisor. After another lengthy negotiation he pointed to the contract pack where a 1000 Euro down payment had been authorised.  We went through the paperwork and she tried to sell me two outrageous full and half cover protection policies – the full cost half as much as my maximum liability with no protection. Just as we were concluding the deal she said it’s a lead-free car. ‘But I ordered a diesel’ I replied.  She phones the fleet manager to see if there is one available for three weeks.  Another round of negotiations with the supervisor who tells me the first one is available on Friday (it’s now Tuesday).  So I reluctantly accepted the petrol car.  By twelve o’clock I was heading out of the airport – some fifteen hours later than planned – and about 90 Euro out of pocket (one nights hotel reservation lost and taxi fares between the airport and the nearby hotel).  I had two consolations was on my way and I had saved myself 240 Euro in Tom-Tom rental charges by having the foresight to bring my own with me.   I was in my scheduled destination five hours later,  eating tapas and looking at a rainy sky.



Something traumatic seems to happen every time I go through Toulouse Airport (see airport traumas 5 & 6 in my last blog).  A big high five to me though. This is the first blog I have ever written on a tablet!

No comments: