Sunday 27 November 2016

In response to Terasa May's hateful speech last month. I AM PROUD TO BE A GLOBAL CITIZEN

Teresa May , October 2016 ""Today, too many people in positions of power behave as though they have more in common with international elites than with the people down the road, the people they employ, the people they pass on the street," she said. "But if you believe you are a citizen of the world, you are a citizen of nowhere. You don't understand what citizenship means."
I cannot begin to say how deeply offensive I find this statement.
I am a UK citizen and I am not in a position of power. I have lived outside of the UK for almost fifteen years in other EU countries (those in the Eurozone and Schengen). I speak three languages. I now live in France and can see Spain from my balcony. I have an allotment on the other side of the river (in Spain).
I am self employed. My clients this year cover twelve diifferent countries ranging from Wales to China, from Latvia to Kenya. I like Cambodian food. Some of the smartest people I know on Facebook are from Bhutan and Thailand (yes i have met them face to face). And I am very very angry that you said this.
My response is 'Je me suis fiere d'etre un citoyen global'.
I have roots in London. Wales, the Netherlands, Brussels and now the Pays Basque and they will continue to grow and spread. If you continue with this bullshit, one day I may have to renounce my UK citizenship. It's fast becoming a liability rather than an asset

No comments: