Friday 19 September 2014

'Turn the lights out when you leave'

I had a whole working day to spend in Copenhagen after my weekend workshop (earlier flights were prohibitively expensive). And I ‘did’ Copenhagen (spent two months there attending a summer school) many years ago. Moreover I needed to work- there were some tight deadlines looming. So I dropped by the Hub to see if I could call a favour, based on my lapsed membership from Brussels (well Brussels Hub lapsed not my membership). It seemed a better option than trying to work out of a Starbucks or an internet café. I tried calling and got no answer, so tried turning up to see what would happened. Hub Copenhagen is located in one of the gorgeous multi-court yarded buildings that can be found everywhere in Copenhagen, painted in three different shades of ochre



I rang the bell. Nils answered: ‘We closed down on Friday. We’re emptying it out now and transferring the lease’. I explained my situation / predicament – and he immediately and generously offered me a room to work from where they wouldn’t be drilling or hammering– ‘but we don’t have an internet connection anymore’. Hub Copenhagen had sadly met the same issues that closed down Hub Brussels. Too high office rents!
So I found a quiet room, took a chair and desk and sat down in strange, but familiar, environment and pushed out four hours work for clients in Switzerland and Italy. And I marvelled at how international my life has become: a Brit living in Belgium with a Dutch-based business working today in Denmark for clients in other countries! Wow, nobody told me this was a career option!

So, sadly, I can claim to be the last person to have worked in Hub Copenhagen. And you know what? Nils and his colleague had to go out twenty minutes before I had finished and - never having met me before – just said ‘will you turn out the lights when you go’. I miss Hub Brussels so much!

No comments: