Thursday 11 February 2010

That's me in the spotlight

.....well actually standing in the shadows at the back of a large mob. Tonight I make a surprise guest appearance on Dutch TV! It's a surprise to me. A few years ago much of west Wales was agog (that's a not so subtle word play) when Richard Gere, Sean Connery and the lovely Julie Ormroyd rode into the area to film First Knight. As a doctoral student my timetable was quite 'flexible' so I went and got myself a role as an extra in it for a couple of days. It involved hanging around for ages in a really cold slate mine outside Dolgellau dressed like, and acting the part, one of an impoverished and angry Arthurian mob. This meant wearing poorly fitting and scratchy felt clothing and having wood ash rubbed into my face and hair. It was a bit like going to Glastonbury. Except you got paid (sort of) and spent most of your time trying to get a glimpse of the fair Lady Guinievere.
Funnily enough I never watched it all the way through. Tonight I am going to tape it and find out if I really can see myself at the back of the crowd.
Oh and a bit of a spoiler. The causeway leading to Camelot is real - its part of (the former) Trawnsfynedd nuclear power station. They did some very clever graphic dubbing to transform a concrete bunker into a mythical palace.

No comments: